The benefits of making the switch often out way these challenges and we see eLCVs growing in popularity. In the UK alone LCV registrations were down in 2020 compared to 2019 but eLCV sales were up by 64%. So why are fleets making the switch to an eLCV fleet and what do you need to do to make the switch to an electric commercial fleet?
Why are fleets eager to transition to an eLCV fleet?
Currently, light commercial vehicles have a significant impact on total CO2 emissions and fleet operators are looking to eLCVs to reduce emissions and maintain access to areas low emission zones. eLCVs help fleet operators to:
- Lower fleet CO2 emissions
- Maintain or gain access to low emission zone
- Support internal sustainability and corporate social responsibility policies
Before you start to include electric vans in your fleet you should first carry out a full eLCV feasibility study. This feasibility study should include, checking eLCV routes and optimising them, planning charging infrastructure and understanding your drivers’ behaviour and mindset. If you’re leasing your commercial fleet your lease or fleet management company should help with the transition.
Plan and phase your eLCV transition based on your organisation and your current LCV fleet operation model.
Four areas to keep in mind when planning the addition of eLCVs to your fleet:
Review existing LCV fleet
a) Identify potential fleet vehicle options
b) Identify minimum standard specifications
Future eLCV roadmap
a) Consider future operational use
b) Review current and future eLCV products
Total cost of ownsership
a) Sample existing spend
b) Compare price of eLCVs to internal combustion engine (ICE) LCVs
c) Identify indirect costs
Learn from eLCV pioneers
a) Observe the frontrunners
b) What are their learnings and review issues and benefits
The 7 steps to a successful eLCV transition
- Benchmark: Compare fleet with similar fleets in same industry
- Gather requirements: Clear list of business requirements to ensure fit for purpose eLCVs
- Collect data: Review vehicle pricing and TCO for similar alternative eLCVs
- Develop scenarios: Using steps 1-3 to determine which is the best eLCV
- Update policies: Ensure that the newly selected eLCV/s are incorporated in the fleet policy
- Implement: Using the business case to test and evaluate prior to full implementation
- Review: Consistently review the efficiency of the new eLCV/s in the fleet.
LeasePlan provides fleets with:
- New approach and tools to ask the right qualifying questions and properly understand our client’s eLCV fleet needs. To better understand their vehicle requirements and the complexity of their business operation for eLCV adoption
- Competitive monthly lease rental costs compared to ICE LCVs that helps fleets make the right funding and financing decisions to incorporate eLCVs into their fleet policy
- Full eLCV implementation programme that allows our LCV experts and account managers in all countries to follow a robust process for successful transition to an eLCV fleet
Contact your LeasePlan contact person for more information about making the switch to an electric LCV fleet.