One year in review : LeasePlan publishes strategic update
Written by LeasePlan UK | Posted on 13.02.2018
- Clear strategic focus on two large and growing markets in Europe3:
- ‘Car-as-a-Service’ (CaaS) for new cars, a growing EUR 68 billion market
- High-quality 3-4-year-old used car market, a growing EUR 65 billion market
- LeasePlan is focused on leading the megatrend from ownership to usership to subscription in both the new and high-quality used car markets, and on ultimately delivering ‘any car, anytime, anywhere’
- Introducing CarNext.com: a disruptive B2C and B2B digital marketplace that enables customers to buy, lease and subscribe to high-quality used cars in Europe
- Continuing to deliver ‘The Power of One LeasePlan’, a programme to drive operational excellence globally by implementing best practices and leveraging LeasePlan’s scale along all elements of the value chain and across all LeasePlan countries.
- Launching LeasePlan Digital to transform the company from an analogue business into a fully digitally-enabled business, delivering digital services at digital cost levels, leveraging the latest digital intelligence technologies
- Commitment to lead the transition from internal combustion engines to alternative powertrain fleets, targeting net zero emissions from LeasePlan’s fleet by 2030
Tex Gunning, LeasePlan CEO:
There is a clear mega-trend from ownership to user-ship and subscription models taking place in both the new and high-quality used car markets. Increasingly, our customers – whether they are corporate, SMEs or private individuals – would prefer a ‘Car-as-a-Service’ with no strings attached in terms of car type or duration. They just want ‘any car, anytime, anywhere’.
LeasePlan will lead this trend. With 1.7 million cars on the road in 32 countries, we are already a global leader in providing our customers with Car-as-a-Service for new cars – a business we will continue to invest in. We are also in a unique position to lead the growing €65 billion Car-as-a-Service market for high-quality 3-4-year-old cars thanks to the introduction of our new CarNext.com business. CarNext.com is a disruptive B2C and B2B digital marketplace that enables customers to buy, lease and subscribe to high-quality used cars in Europe.
Our leadership position across these two markets, as well as our continuing focus on operational excellence and cost control across the company, will be further enhanced by our new LeasePlan Digital programme. The objective of LeasePlan Digital is simple: to deliver best-in-class digital services to all our customers in all areas of our business at digital cost levels, leveraging the latest digital technologies. Ultimately, this is how we provide our customers with ‘any car, anytime, anywhere’. This is what’s next for LeasePlan.
For further information please contact your LeasePlan Account Manager or speak to a member of our new business team here.
 This press release has not been audited. Underlying net result consists of net result adjusted for unrealized results on financial instruments, one-time items related to the sale of subsidiaries, restructuring charges and consultancy costs related to ‘The Power of One LeasePlan’, preparation cost for potential IPO and the tax effect thereof. For the reconciliation between underlying net result and reported IFRS net result, reference is made to the table on page 20 of this press release
 Serviced fleet – total funded fleet plus services-only fleet
 Source: Embracing the Car-as-a-Service model – The European leasing and fleet management market, Roland Berger January 2018, commissioned by LeasePlan
 LTM Underlying return on equity throughout this document is defined as Last Twelve Months Underlying net result divided by the average IFRS equity (average monthly equity of the last 12 months) over the related period.
You may also be interested in...